Thursday, August 6, 2009

Taking a ride up to the next floor

I never thought of myself as a blogger. It seemed like a great idea a few weeks ago. Now it seems difficult to sit and put my thoughts into words, especially about things that are so personal. I could, of course, just tell you about the day to day about Tina that I hear third party through my mother via IM, but I am missing a lot of the data. I will wait until I have a long phone conversation and make sure I know all of the facts, good or bad before sharing them here.

I do know that since her hip surgery that she has walked up and down a flight of stairs without the use of a cane. She is using the walker more now rather than the wheelchair. Things are looking up.

She is going to the best possible hospital, Cancer Treatment Centers of America. Before Tina's cancer came back, I remember seeing a commercial for them. A woman with pancreatic cancer was saying that her initial doctor was very insensitive and cold while telling her she had three months to live. At the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, they don't believe that people have expiration dates unlike the two (maybe three) week old carton of milk in my fridge. Hmm, note to self, clean out the fridge. Anywho, Tina seems to be thriving there. Her doctor is always pushing to get out of that wheelchair and would never think to speak to a patient as though they're weak, but instead, "Get up damnit, stop being a sick person." It's all about attitude.

They also have holistic treatments. Once Tina's at the hospital, she's got a full day of appointments. It may start with light-touch massage, then acupuncture, then physical therapy and of course chemo and pain management. It's like a day at the spa, only...well, it's nothing like a day at the spa, but there are lots of appointments to concentrate on yourself and feeling better at the end of the day. I like the fact that they treat the caretakers so well too, free food and I can book appointments for myself. They've got a great cafeteria or you can order it up for room service. Oh, and the desserts, yum: cheesecake, milkshakes, ice cream, etc. I could have booked my own massages if I wanted. Hey, if it's included in the half-a-million-dollar bill, might as well, right? I passed on that though. Just didn't feel right getting a rub down while Tina's getting crazy chemicals pumped in her body. I would like to take some of the drugs though, she looked pretty happy on a few of them. :) Did I tell you she had medical marijuana at one point? It was in pill form and had to be refrigerated which I thought was strange. I was hoping for some brownies. Haha.

So for now, I have no real news to report except things are looking up, especially on the mobility aspect. Remember, if you've got a story to share about Tina or have pictures you want to post, send them my way. My email address is on my profile to right.

Many of you are asking to donate. I'm somewhat uncomfortable with accepting personal funds; I was looking for help from corporations, but the response has been overwhelming. I'll be posting a paypal soon. It's a lot easier than putting a check in the mail. Envelopes, stamps, actually writing a check (who does that anymore) and getting to the mailbox. The worst part of that is my sister then has to go to the bank. So the paypal will be up shortly. Please do not feel obligated to send anything; this is mainly for close friends and family that would send things anyway. The support so far has been incredible. It's because of all of you that my sister gets more strength. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers as I know she does too.

I leave you with very inspirational words from my friend and yours, Mr. Rogers and his farewell song:

It's such a good feeling to know you're alive. It's such a happy feeling, you're growing inside. And when you wake up ready to say, "I think I'll make a snappy new day." It's such a good feeling, a very good feeling, The feeling you know that we're friends.

Until next time friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment